Re: draw a 16bpp unindexed image on PC linux

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:16:59 +0300, Juhana Sadeharju
<kouhia nic funet fi> wrote:
> I draw to 24-bit RGB rowstrided image which I created with malloc.
> I update the drawing area with gdk_draw_rgb_image().
> The full update takes 80+ msec -- i.e., max frame rate is as low
> as 12 frames per second. Drawing to RGB image takes time as well,
> and so the frame rate drops too low. Image size is 900x600.

I'm not sure you can get much faster than that with plain gtk :-( have
you tried running:

gtk+-2.4.x/tests/testrgb

I get around 100 mega pixels per second draw speed for the fastest
case (2.5 Ghz xeon, nvidia graphics card), it should be able to do 900
x 600 at video rates pretty easily.

For more speed, I think you need to only update part of the display,
or to use another drawing technique. mplayer has a mode where it
decodes the video to an OpenGL texture, then uses an OGL window to
draw that on the screen. Of course if you do this, your user will not
be able to work over the network and will have to have OGL hardware
installed and woirking.

John