custom widget embedding stock widget

I am attempting to build a custom widget based off of the GtkDial example in the 2.0 tutorial.  I wanted to add a vertical progressbar which would float above the dial widget until the user button_releases the mouse.  I cannot find any infomation about embedding this stock Progress widget inside of my own.
I thought that all I really need to do is create a progressbar instantiation within the custom widget and find a way to paint the progressbar's output on top of mine. Are there any examples of something like this in the CVS that I could look at or perhaps some documentation? Thank you.