compile on windows 2k

I am trying to get a test project to build on windows using cygwin that I downloaded yesterday. The autogen.sh script seems to fun fine till it gets to the part where it runs configure at which point I get this error. . .

./configure.bak: line 1250: syntax error near unexpected token `test,'
./configure.bak: line 1250: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(test, 0.1)'

I thought it might not like the name test so I tried another project and got the same results. Any idea?

--
Chris W

Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org

Not getting the gifts you want?  The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com