Re: GUI building questions

John Cupitt wrote:

I'd put the buttons into a GtkTable for layout. You can set a cell horizontal and vertical padding which you should be able to adjust to get the spacing you want.

You may have noticed that one of the buttons takes up two rows. I don't see anyway to allow that with a table.

Be aware that the user can change the font / display resolution / text direction behind your back, so you need to be quite flexible about how you handle resizes.

For this application I don't want to be flexible because if I am it will come out looking stupid. I plan on having 3 or 4 different size buttons and they pick small, medium, large or extra large layout and that is how they resize it. Same with the fonts I don't want the user to change the font independent of the program. If I have to I will just use graphics for the the text.

Colour and fonts are best set in a gtkrc file so the user can change it, rather than being wired into your app. Set names for your widgets and then write a gtkrc file like:

I don't want the user to be able to change the color around the keys. This program is emulating a real calculator that has a black keyboard. If they want to change the font color or the window border and title color that is fine but the background around the buttons should ALWAYS be black.

You might try the gtk-win list for win32 tips.

Thanks I will look into that.

--
Chris W

Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org

Not getting the gifts you want?  The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com