Re: How would I use casting ?

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 17:32 +0530, Dipak G Patil wrote:

> I asked just you because, you have said following method is not best
> way but neither told why nor suggested best way. And obviously such
> statement would make anybody confused.
> So I thought I would better clear the conversion of GdkWindow to
> GtkWidget and vice versa which was my basic question.
> And I am reading docs, tutorials and examples and I thing anybody gets
> queries while learning anything right ? And while learning anything if
> anybody confuses you then better way is solve the confusion from the
> creater.

Don't take a lot of this personally, many people on these lists are
subscribed to dozens of lists generating hundreds (if not thousands) of
total mails a day. GIMPNet (IRC) is a better means to ask multiple small
questions, and

irc://irc.gnome.org/#gtk+
irc://irc.gnome.org/#gnome-love

are good channels for GTK+/GNOME development help, respectively.
Typically it takes a few minutes for someone to notice your question and
reply (assuming someone on IRC knows the answer), since most of us are
doing other things as well. The de-facto standing policies are "just
ask", and private messages (/msg) are generally reserved for legitimate
private conversations. (IOW, just show up and ask, then hang around for
a while, if someone knows the answer they'll reply, and there's rarely a
need to move discussion to a private chat.)

Also, I've found that existing real-world app source that does what you
want (or something similar) is often more helpful than the examples
provided in the docs--assuming your app is license-compatible with the
code you're reading, of course.

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://esco.mine.nu
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "If even one reporter had stood up during a pre-Iraq Bush press
     conference last year and shouted, `Bullshit!' it might have made a
     difference."
        -- Matt Taibbi, New York Press