Re: Re: Help creating a horizontal GtkList (can't find info anywhere!!!)

> <crypto_stonelock sympatico ca> writes:
>
> > I use a bunch of GtkLists to create arrow browsable menus.
>
> I'm sorry, but what are ``arrow browsable menus''?
>
> > Some are labels, some editable entries. I'm currently porting an old
> > DOS program, written in 88, to Windows.
>
> Ouch.  :-)

Hehe, ouch indeed. Its actually very well programmed so its not so bad to transpose from QuickBasic to C. Whats taking me along time is designing the graphical interface using GTK+.

> > One of the menu's in this old program is horizontal for many different
> > reasons (one of em being that it doesn't look good vertical), and so I
> > was hoping to keep the spirit of the horizontal menu going :).
>
> I'd be interested to hear more about this, as I can't quite imagine how
> these ``horizontal menus'' look.  I assume the're not like like ordinary
> menus, since you're not using an ordinary horizontal menu bar.  Could
> you perhaps show a screenshot, or maybe an ASCII-art rendering?

Hmmm, i'm not sure if its possible to send images on the mailing list, i'll give it a shot :).

Its exactly like a regular vertical arrow browsable menu ( moving to the desired selection with arrowkeys ) except the menu is horizontal :).

> > Any idea on how I could accomplish this?
>
> First of all, note that GtkList is deprecated in favor of GtkTreeView,
> meaning that the former should not be used in newly written code.
> Unfortunately, GtkTreeView does not support horizontal orientation
> either, so this doesn't help you with your problem.
>
> I'm sorry that I don't know enough about GTK+ to be able to recommend a
> solution, but I suppose you could try either subclassing GtkListView, or
> creating your own widget based on it.  I haven't looked into it myself,
> but it appears swapping x and y -- horizontal and vertical -- throughout
> the code for GtkListView should not be that hard.

It probably isn't too hard but i'm a little short on time trying to finish the project so I don't think i'll be able to spend any time figuring it out. I was hoping for an out of the box solution.

> > ps: how do you keep posting in the same thread? I tried answering to
> > your email but it didn't work.
>
> It did work, in the sense that I got your mail.  I'm sorry I didn't
> answer until now.
>
> To reply to the list, use your e-mail client's ``reply to group'', or
> ``reply to all'' command, as opposed to ``reply to sender''.

Ah! Thank you much :).

Cheers,
Crypto