compiling

Hi!
This ain't hane much to do with GTK+ but...
I started to learn about GTK using Glade since i was not a great
programmer and doing so helped me to get some results real fast.
Now that i understand GTK a bit more i wold like to build my apps all by
myself, the problem is that i cant manage to understand aal the work
around with makefiles and configure files. The GNU documentation happens
to be to long and complicated for a newbie like me and all the other
tutorials and stuff that i got from the internet reveal to be very
confusing and inconsistent.
Can any one point me a go place to start?
somethimg like how to make an application step by step with examples, or
maybe some good code for me to look at.

Thanks a lot

RH