Scrolling part of a widget

Hello,

I would like to know how to specify that only a part
of a widget should be scrolled.

Specifically, I want to be able to use a GtkTreeView
to display a list of employees. Like the column
headings, I want to be able to specify that the first
column of cells (employee names) is always visible.
The names scroll with the vertical scrollbar, but not
with the horizontal. Optionally, I would like to
specify that the last row of cells (column totals) is
always visible as well as the last column of cells
(row totals). The last row of cells should scroll with
the horizontal scrollbar and the last column of cells
should scroll with the vertical. A table of cells
where the border cells are always visible, but scroll
appropriately.

How would one go about this?