Re: Best practice for installing GTK 2.2.4 on Mandrake 9.0

At Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:40:32PM -0000, mond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to install gtk 2.2.4 on Mandrake 9.0 and I am not sure of the
> best way to go about installing all the related packages.
>
> These are the packages I want to install (all source):
>
> - gtk+-2.2.4
> - glib-2.2.3
> - atk-1.2.4
> - pango-1.2.5
> - pkgconfig-0.14.0
> - jpegsrc.v6b
> - libpng-1.2.5
> - tiff-v3.5.7
>
> Are there any more dependencies?
>
> In which order should I install them (i.e. ./configure --prefix=/usr; make;
> make install)?

If you haven't seen the install guide, have a look at it:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.2/gtk/gtk-building.html

> What will happen to the previous versions installed on my machine?  Will
> they just get overridden?  Or will I have to manually uninstall them first
> (some are rpms and others have been installed from source)?

gtk-1.x should be left alone; gtk-2 won't disturb it at all. At minimum,
the gtk-2 versions under the same prefix would have to be removed.
(Compiling with other versions later would probably require setting
PKG_CONFIG_PATH.)

--
Chad Daelhousen
My opinions are my own, until UB purchases my soul.