Best practice for installing GTK 2.2.4 on Mandrake 9.0

Hi,

I am about to install gtk 2.2.4 on Mandrake 9.0 and I am not sure of the
best way to go about installing all the related packages.

These are the packages I want to install (all source):

- gtk+-2.2.4
- glib-2.2.3
- atk-1.2.4
- pango-1.2.5
- pkgconfig-0.14.0
- jpegsrc.v6b
- libpng-1.2.5
- tiff-v3.5.7

Are there any more dependencies?

In which order should I install them (i.e. ./configure --prefix=/usr; make;
make install)?

What will happen to the previous versions installed on my machine?  Will
they just get overridden?  Or will I have to manually uninstall them first
(some are rpms and others have been installed from source)?

Finally, when I (eventually) get them installed what will I have to do to
make them available? (Alter pkg-config .pc files?)

Thanks in advance for any help,

-- mond