Re: How to uninstall glib-2.2.1?

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 23:59, Billy O'Connor wrote:
> Valdis Kletnieks vt edu writes:
>
> > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:49:01 +0800, wEngUang <wlinuxer peoplemail com cn>  said:
> >> How to uninstall glib-2.2.1 completely,which was installed by default with the redhat linux`s installation?
> >
> > Step 1:  rpm -e glib2
> > Step 2: Watch the flood of "needed by" errors
> > Step 3 : rpm -q --whatrequires glib2
> > Step 3a: rpm -q --whatrequires gtk2
> > Step 4: Think long and hard about if you REALLY want to do that.
> > Step 5:  rpm -e --nodeps glib2 gtk2
> >
> > Step 6: Either 'rpm -i' the glib2 and gtk2 RPMs again, or forget about ever
> > using Gnome on that system again. Ever. :)
>
> This wouldn't have anything to do with a ./configure error along the
> lines of "I wanted glib-version-xxx, but glib-2.2.1 was found.",
> would it?

Basically, for any recent Red Hat or Fedora version, for installing new
versions of GLib/GTK+, I would advise using the RPMs from
download.fedora.redhat.com; you might have to rebuild the SRPM for
Red Hat 9 or RHEL 3, but nothing has changed in the packaging
that would cause incompatibility.

Multiple versions of GLib-2.x on the same machine is bad news, and
should be avoided. (One exception to this is using a build script
like jhbuild or garnome; these are generally set up to be properly
encapsulated.)

Regads,
						Owen