Error in compiling GTK+ applications

Dear list members, GTK team!

I've compiled and installed a gtk-2.3.2, and tried to compile a gtk application, in this case a mozilla-1.6 browser. It's configure script exited with an error that it cannot find the 'gtk-config' script. I checked the whole / directory with mc's find file and it did not found any gtk-config. Can anyone tell me what is this 'gtk-config' and why it is needed?

This is the point when ./configure exited:

checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found.
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
*** GTK+ is available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk
Yours
Tibor Kendl