FAQ Number 4.8: Debugging hangs X at breakpoint

Hi all,

I want to understand the problem that this FAQ discusses better:

   4.8. I try to debug my GTK+ application with gdb, but it hangs my X
   server when I hit some breakpoint. Any Idea? [GTK 2.x]

Would some kind soul send me a simple hello-world type example that
demonstrates the issue?  If I can see a short program that demonstrates
the problem, I'd be really appreciative!

Did this problem not exist with 1.2?

Thanks!
Pete