Re: Binary compatibility of GTK+2.4 vs. GTK+2.4 ?

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 14:43 +0100, Jurgen Defurne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The home page of GTK states that there is binary compatibility between
> different versions of GTK 2.x.
>
> I have, however, a banking application which seems to be linked against GTK
> 2.2 and now that I have upgraded from Red Hat 9 to Fedora Core 3, does not
> work anymore.
>
> I get
>
> /opt/HomeBank/HBSecGUI: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0:
> undefined symbol: XListInputDevices
>
> and libgdk-1.2.so.0 is symbolically linked to /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0.9.1.
>
> Apart from asking the bank to update their application, does anybody have some
> other ideas on how I could make this program run again

Indeed this is GTK+-1.2... basically off-topic for this list at this
point.

It looks to me like the app was improperly linked ... the app itself
should
be depending on libXi if it was linked on a Red Hat or Fedora system
using
gtk-config.

But if the set of dependency libraries changed between Red Hat 9 and FC3
then
that's a Fedora problem ... can you file something in Red Hat bugzilla?

There's no easy workaround for you other than fixing the problem with
the
gtk+ package and rebuilding; I'm not sure how hard off hand the fix
would be.

Thanks,
						Owen