Re: Beginner questions ...

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 18:29 +0100, Sam B wrote:
> Hello and thank you for reading my post !
>
> I have a few questions about gtk+, sorry, I am a beginner :
>
> 1)  I use the widget to get a filename with a menu (I don't remember its
> name). I connected the "Cancel" button signal to "widget_destroy" and this
> is OK. But I would like the app to do a few functions and then close the
> widget used to choose the filename. How could I close a widget from a
> function called by this widget ? Now, when I click OK, the widget asking me
> to choose a file is still open and sould be closed !

Your question is not clear, what do you mean by "widget"?  However, what
you probably want to do is pass a pointer to the widget as the final
argument to g_signal_connect() when you hook up the callback to the OK
button.

A snippet of the main function would be:

GtkWidget *widget;
GtkButton *button;

/* Create the widget, button, and other stuff as required */

g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (button), "clicked", G_CALLBACK (ok_button_cb), widget);

gtk_widget_show_all (widget);
gtk_main ();

And the callback would be:

static void
ok_button_cb (GtkButton *button, gpointer data)
{
	GtkWidget *widget = GTK_WIDGET (data);

	/* Do the things you want */

	gtk_widget_destroy (widget);
	return;
}

> 2) I vould like to make a Notebook with a variable number of tabs, depending
> on the user's actions. Which function does this ?

Just add another page to the notebook for each tab your user needs.  You
can either prepend or append:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkNotebook.html#gtk-notebook-prepend-page

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkNotebook.html#gtk-notebook-append-page

All of the functions about notebooks can be found:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkNotebook.html

Keith.