Re: Why gtk+ application are so slow

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:50 +0300, Victor Nazarov wrote:
> Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Victor Nazarov <vir comtv ru> writes:
> >

> >Can you give some numbers please? I don't see any noticeable delay
> >when starting a GTK+ application. So I suspect that something is wrong
> >with your setup. There are several things that could be wrong. Your
> >font cache could be missing or broken, you might have an extended
> >input device configured which isn't available (this causes a long
> >timeout due to a bug in X11).
> >

> I have only ps/2 keyboard and usb mouse. Machine is Pentium III
> Copermine 533 MHz with 384 MB RAM runing Linux kernel v 2.4.26...
>
> >I don't believe that this would gain any significant (noticeable)
> >improvement. But I am willing to change my mind if you can come up
> >with some serious profiling data for realworld applications that shows
> >that GObject signal marshalling is a major bottleneck.
> >

> I havn't said that GObject signal marshalling is a major bottleneck.
> I've said about overal run-time design of gtk...
> I have the following manual mesurments, wich are very inaccurate...
> It's near 3 seconds betwean clicking on gnome-terminal launcher and the
> appearance of the window...
> It's near 5 second to start mozilla-thunderbird...
> Easy-tag (gtk1.2 application) starts very quickly --- not noticable...

Well, thunderbird isn't *really* a GTK+ app (though it uses it
internally) - it doesn't really use many GTK+ signals for one
thing.

Seems like more  apples-to-apples comparison would be to try a small
GTK+-2.x app like, say, gtk-demo which ships with GTK+.

Try 'fc-cache -f' as root on your system, have stale font caches
is a common cause of startup slowness.

Regards,
						Owen