Re: beg for help - writing a custom tree model

D M wrote:
	The main problem is that GtkTreeView behavior makes it
impossible. First of all: when a user expands a node GtkTreeView asks
me to create iterators for each child, then every child is referenced
(accordingly to the manual that means that an item is to be displayed -
which is wrong because even if there are 5000 children it's refernecing
all of them at once). Then - what is even more ridiculous - I'm asked
to provide values for all children elements - which is total
madness.

I made similar observations when I tried to write a TreeModel to model a data structure where it takes a long time to retrieve the data for a node - hence you wouldn't want the view to visit a node until necessary. Obviously, the GTK TreeView wasn't designed with this in mind.

I don't have any suggestions other than that I think that patches would be welcome. Apart from the fact that the TreeView is rather complex I think that it would definitely be possible to fix these problems.

--
Christer Palm