Pango 1.2.0 and Xft back end

Hi All. This is my first email to this list. So if I
make some kind of error or mistake, please forgive.

I'm trying to install wxWidgets. So I have downloaded
gtk 2.4, glib 2.4, atk 1.6, pango 1.4.0.

glib, atk, pango, installed ok. With I run the
gtk+2.4.0 configure script, this is what I get:

configure:error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is
requried of x11 target.

What does that mean? This is my first time trying to
install gtk and I really don't know what pango, atk
and the like do.

FYI: I'm running Mandrake 9.0 on a Duron 1300 chip and
lots of ram and HD space. If more specs are required,
please email me and i will responds asap.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
Chris Bruyere