GTK Configure Can't link to libjpeg now

Hi All,

With the help of my friend, I was finally able to get
configure for GTK to link with libtiff.  He actually
told me of a new beta version of libtiff (v3.6.0) that
compiled correctly.  However, GTK needs libjpeg, but
even after compiling libjpeg, configure still can't
find it.  Here are the error messages from the GTK
compile and from GTK's config.log:

checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... no
configure: WARNING: *** JPEG loader will not be built
(JPEG library not found) ***
configure: error:
*** Checks for JPEG loader failed. You can build
without it by passing
*** --without-libjpeg to configure but some programs
using GTK+ may
*** not work properly

configure:23772: checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress
in -ljpeg
configure:23803: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall
conftest.c -ljpeg   -lintl  >&5
ld: can't locate file for: -ljpeg

ac_cv_lib_jpeg_jpeg_destroy_decompress=no

HAVE_JPEG_FALSE=''
HAVE_JPEG_TRUE=''

LIBJPEG=''

| char jpeg_destroy_decompress ();
| int
| main ()
| {
| jpeg_destroy_decompress ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:23824: result: no
configure:23830: WARNING: *** JPEG loader will not be
built (JPEG library not found) ***
configure:23954: error:
*** Checks for JPEG loader failed. You can build
without it by passing
*** --without-libjpeg to configure but some programs
using GTK+ may
*** not work properly

I have also tried compiling GTK with the LDFLAGS
command with no success.  Any help would be great!

Thanks,
J Silverman