os x and glib

Hello

I am trying to configure glib-2.2.3 on mac os x but I am running into a
problem:

checking for iconv_open... no
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
checking for iconv_open in -liconv... no
configure: error: *** No iconv() implementation found in C library or
libiconv

I know that libiconv is installed on this system but configure can't find
it.  I've specified the prefix where the libs are installed but no luck.

Can someone point in the direction of an answer?  Does anyone know the last
known version >2.x  to work successfully on os x?

Thanks
Jeff