Re: GTK+-2.2.4 together with GTK+-1.2.10

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

then configure your gtk2 program.  Also make sure /usr/local/lib is in
/etc/ld.so.conf file and that you ran ldconfig so that the system can
find the library files.  Once you do that, gtk2 programs will always
compile and build.  gtk1 and gtk2 don't clash.  This ought to be in the
FAQ, since it's asked every couple of weeks.

basically pkg-config defaults to looking in /usr/lib/pkgconfig when you
build a new gtk2 program.  Since you've compiled from source, it's in
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.  I recommend you install the binary packages
fro gtk2 from your distro maintainer.  Then you won't encounter these
types of problems.

Michael