Re: licensing issue

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 09:27, ck wrote:
> I would like to develop a computer program which will
> be supplied with our equipment to our customer.  I am
> thinking about using GTK for user interface of the
> program which is proprietary.  GkT licensing term is
> "GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project.
> However, the licensing terms for GTK+, the GNU LGPL,
> allow it to be used by all developers, including those
> developing proprietary software, without any license
> fees or royalties".  But I am not sure whether or not
> I have to give the source code of the program together
> with the GKT source, which I think is the requirement
> of GNU GPL.  Please clarify this before I begin to use
> GTK. Thanks

You have to include the source code of GTK, but not the source code of
your own application. The customer must be able to patch GTK and use the
patched GTK with your application, which is automatically possible if
you dynamically link and may require extra work if you statically link.

I am not a lawyer and you should ask your own legal counsel for advice
if you really need to know for sure.

Havoc