gtk-config missing in GTK-2.2.14 when installing from source

Hi,
I'm trying to build up a system a "bare" slackware-9 system.
I finally successed to compile and install KDE-3.1
But to get some of the utilities compiled and installed I needed to get the
GTK.

In kdegraphics I needed imlib-1.9.14 too.
but when I try to configure the makefiles using ./configure I get the
following message:
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.1... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: warning: *** gdk_imlib will not be built ***
checking whether to build gmodulized imlib... yes
When I looked for the gtk-config I couldn't find it.
I googled around and found som tips.
One said that I needed the GTK-devel package. Where can I find it?
I want the source files to compile it.
On the other hand someone said that you must use gtk-1.2 not gtk-2.0.

Can it be like that, that gtk-2.0 no longer support gtk-config?
I've googled around trying to find some information about that but failed.

Anyone who could spread some light over this?

Looking forward for some answers -
Lars-Göran Andersson