Re: Always forcing core font rendering

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 21:04, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> 	I'm wondering if there's a way to force all Gtk+ apps to use the
> XFree86 core font renderer instead of Xft/FreeType?  I don't really
> understand the new XFree86 font system very well (man, it's really
> complicated...), but I'm guessing I need to do something with Pango?
> That seems like the place where font backends are chosen.  I'm using
> Gtk+ 2.2, Pango 1.2, Fontconfig 2.2.0, and FreeType 2.1.4.
>
> 	I've tried the GDK_USE_XFT=0 trick, but this doesn't seem to
> always work - it works as I'd expect with things like LogJam (it falls
> back to 100dpi core fonts), but mozilla doesn't behave at all as expected
> (instead of following my FontPath ordering, it oddly chooses a Courier
> variant...)

I personally want to see the font subsystem allow both Xft and core
fonts to be used at the same time.  I have some nice fixed-point
terminal fonts that I'd love to use in gnome-terminal.  Probably a GDK
hack could do this, but probably a smarter fontconfig/Xft system would
be better.

Michael

--
Michael Torrie <torriem chem byu edu>