Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 22:02, Ruben Safir Secretary NYLXS wrote:
> Not to mention that the last tinme I sat here with Richard Stallman
> with an 'apt-geted' version of GNOME, it was completely broken.
>
> I had to spend 2 hours to get it to function in the most basic ways
> (like logging off).

What distro were you using.  If it was debian, were you mixing stable
and unstable packages?  That can be complicated if so.  If you use
redhat 9 or mandrake 9.2, Gnome just works fine as it ships with the
distro.

At the risk of offending, if you couldn't get GNOME working with binary
packages, I don't see how you would have much better luck building it
all from source yourself, although if you are interested (and it is
worthwhile), you can download a little program called garnome that will
automatically fetch the latest source code (from CVS) and build a whole
gnome system  (that can, through the use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, coexist
with any distro's existing gnome install) from scratch with no
intervention, if you're hell-bent on riding the cutting edge.

On my redhat box, this has always worked:
apt-get update
apt-get install gtk2-devel

Simple and painless.  If I add beta sources to my apt configuration,
then I can even apt-get install gtk2 2.4.0.