Creating a subwindow

I want to open a new window from my main application,
then call a shell script via system(..) whose I/O is
redirected to that window, and which closes after the
script completes.

Would I use GdkWindow for this, and can someone give
me an example of setting up the window attributes.  I
have Havoc Pennington's excellent book on GTK+/Gnome
Development, but I really need an example.

Thanks in advance!
Don