Re: deprecated GtkCombo

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:55, Owen Taylor wrote:

> There is a new GtkComboBox widget in CVS which will replace
> GtkCombo and GtkOptionMenu for GTK+-2.4. But what I was
> saying was not that you should be using something different,
> but rather saying that RFE's for GtkCombo won't be accepted.
>
> And your bug report was an RFE - "I want to be able to
> catch key press events on combo->popwin and change them to do
> something different than what the widget would normally do".
>
> I really have no idea what you were trying to accomplish, but I
> doubt it was essential to the operation of your user interface...
> generally GTK+ programming is the art of combining existing
> standard elements to make a nice user interface.

I was trying to accomplish something rather simple:

The popup should appear and change according to what input is fed into
the entry, much as what happens with the mozilla "location" entry. For
this I pass the keyboard input from the popwin to the entry. It works
great (you can see it in action in xffm, available from CVS,
cvs.xfce.sourceforge.net). The only glitch is that it takes 2 returns to
accomplish what mozilla does with one, because the popwin signal handler
does not let the return key through (although it lets most everything
else pass).

Oh well, I guess I must create a private structure grouping an entry, a
popwin and a GList. Bad news.

regards,

Edscott

Apparently the combo popwin should not let any keypress signal through