Re: glib-2.2.3 install on FreeBSD

On 18 Nov 2003 22:20:26 +0100, Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:

Hi,

Peter kryszkiewicz <vertexg telus net> writes:

libiconv is installed in a standard location:
/modules/libiconv.ko
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.a
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.la
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.3
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.4

That isn't exactly a standard location. You will need to make
configure aware of this location by setting the appropriare
environment variables. Check the output of configure --help.

Sven

Thanks Sven, that fixed it. I've installed hundreds of packages in the last couple of years; most of them don't choke on /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include as long as ldconfig and the environment knows about them. So I've been lulled into regarding /usr/local as a 'standard' location. But the reason I ended up upgrading glib was because, during the gtkmm-2.2.7 .configure process, pkg-config couldn't find glib-2.0.pc, no matter what I did to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH, and no matter where I put glib-2.0.pc. Upgrading to glib-2.2.3 and re-running .config solved that problem.

Peter