glib-2.2.3 install on FreeBSD

I'm trying to install Gtkmm and get this error when running .configure in /usr.local/glib-2.2.3

 checking for iconv_open... no
 checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
 checking for iconv_open in -liconv... no
configure: error: *** No iconv() implementation found in C library or libiconv

I did install the latest libiconv ... then gettext ... then reinstalled libiconv again.

Some of the archived posts mention 2 ways of installing libiconv (quoted from the README file):
  "This library can be built and installed in two variants:
    - The library mode. This works on all systems, and uses a library
      `libiconv.so' and a header file `<iconv.h>'. (Both are installed
      through "make install".) "
    - The libc plug/override mode. This works on GNU/Linux ...

I'm assuming I should use the first method, but iconv() is somehow not visible to the glib configure process.
libiconv is installed in a standard location:
/modules/libiconv.ko
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.a
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.la
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so