gtkrc after gnome upgrade not honored anymore?

hi

I upgraded my gnome installation to 2.4 yesterday (debian unstable) and
all gtk applications (gtk2 ones are ok) seem to have 'lost' the
configured theme in gtkrc, and use the default one (motif-like) instead.

my ~/.gtkrc looks like this:
---
include "/usr/share/themes/Industrial/gtk/gtkrc"
---

the included directory exists and the themes were working until this upgrade.
I would be glad if anyone could tell me how to further analyse this problem.

If needed, I can send further information about which relevant packages are
installed at the moment.

thanks & regards
nicola