Re: theme question

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 22:50, Tony Denault wrote:
> I'm using gtk on solaris/sparc, but can't themes to work.
>
> I installed gtk-engines-2.2.0 using the standard way:
>     ./configure
>     make
>     make install
>
> Copy a .gtkrc file:
>    cp /usr/local/share/themes/Metal/gtk-2.0/gtkrc  ~/.gtkrc-2.0

The way that most people would select a theme is, to put in their
~/.gtkrc-2.0

 gtk-theme-name = "Metal"

(Or select it through the GNOME UI for theme selection, if you
are running GNOME)

> When I start a gtk2.2 program I get:
>  Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "metal",
>
> So I tried adding module_path in my .gtkrc-2.0 file, but I got:
>    Gtk-WARNING **: module_path directive is now ignored
>
> Why can't my 2.0 theme load? I can find any instruction to indicate
> what I should do. Help..

If GTK+ was installed some place other than /usr/local, the
gtk-engine's README file explains what to do:

        If you configured GTK+ in a non-default prefix, you should
        configure this package the same way. For instance:

         ./configure --prefix=/opt/gtk+

        If you need to install this package in a different prefix
        from GTK+, then you'll have to set your GTK_PATH environment
        variable to point to the installed prefix. For instance,
        if this package was configured with:

         ./configure --prefix=/home/john.doe/gtk-engines/

        Then you'd set:

         GTK_PATH=/home/john.doe/gtk-engines/lib/gtk-2.0/
         export GTK_PATH

        This will allow GTK+ to find the newly installed theme
        engines. To use the sample themes (installed into
        $prefix/share/themes), you'll need to copy or link them
        into your  ~/.theme [should ~/.themes - OT] directory.

Regards,
                                        Owen