How to get rid of old glib in order to compile new gtk?

I've downloaded and succesfully compiled and installed atk-1.2 and glib-2.2.1, but when I try and configure pango-1.2.1 I get this:

checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
No package 'fontconfig' found
checking for xft >= 2.0.0... Package xft was not found in the pkg-config search
path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xft.pc'
No package 'xft' found
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.3...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.1, but GLIB (2.0.6)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

Now I understand what the problem is, but I'm new to linux and I don't want to go around deleting things willy nilly. Can someone tell me how to remove my old glib? I'm using RH8.0 and the old glib is (i guess) 2.0.6 and it came with the distro.

as far as I can tell, glib-2.2.1 should have been installed to /usr/local/lib. I've put this path in my /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig. The only libs I can see in that directory are libglib.2.0, is that right?

Also, do I need fontconfig and xft? It's not giving me an error for those so will I need to install those before I can build pango?

Thanks,

Anders