Re: reading keyboard

The docs for GdkEventKey say

  The only correct way to handle text input of text is
  using input methods (see GtkIMContext), so this field is
  deprecated and should never be used.
  (gdk_unicode_to_keyval() [sic] provides a non-deprecated
  way of getting an approximate translation for a key.)

The best function for your purposes is probably
gdk_keyval_to_unicode (that's a typo in the paragraph, I
believe).

Noah