Re: General GTK questions

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 01:23, steve wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I first got acquainted with gtk on linux.  I am still being impressed.
>
> I installed gaim on my windows box at work and was very impressed that
> GTK also runs on windows.
>
> Is this done with the gtk runtime engine?  Is gtk ported to new
> platforms or interpreted?

It's ported.  There's an underlying layer called GDK which hides the
details of how to talk to the screen and how to monitor input devices.
There's also an abstraction layer called a "theme engine" which gives
precise control over how to render the individual graphical elements to
the GDK layer, I think.  This means that on Windows the implementation
can delegate some of this to Win32, so hopefully you can get GTK to
respect Windows XP themes etc...

[snip]

Dave Malcolm