Howto save a sequence of GTK+ pixmaps into .gif, .mpeg or other standard video formats

Hi,

I use GTK+ (with C/C++) to display a very simple car driving
simulation. The GTK+ representation used is a pixmap (GdkDrawable).
When my program runs, it will display the simulation in a window on
the screen. But I also want to save the simulation so I can replay it
later (without running the program), in a multimedia player like eg. the
Windows MediaPlayer.
Is there a way to save my graphics directly as an mpeg (or other
standard file format) ? Or is there a good way to first save my
pixmaps, and then have a program convert it ?

A program that captures everything displayed in an x-window into some
standard video file would work, too...

Any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks so much,
Pieter