Re: logic problem

Check out the libgnomecanvas. It has a concept of a world coordinate
system that is mapped to the widget, just like in your problem. On
the canvas you can place various canvas items, among them rectangles,
which is what you need for your problem. You can then change the zoom
factor in callbacks.

Regards,
Dov