Re: question about encoding

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:57:09AM -0800, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 06:41, Axel wrote:
> > hi
> > I m trying to open and read file which contains accentued characters
> > like ????
> > so
> > I open a file, with GIOChannel and read the strings
> > but what is the function to get the encoding ?
> > I didn' t found it in API
> > I have seen call to convert to utf8 but it needs the original encoding
> > from the string, and I didn' t found how to get it.
> > Someone could help me ?
>
> I don't think that GIOChannel has anything to do with the encoding
> of a string in a file.
>
> To GIOChannel, you are dealing with a file.  It really doesn't
> care what's in it.  It's just a bunch of bytes to it.

GIOChannel does have something to do with the encoding as it will invoke
iconv on your behalf. The functions on the interface are
g_io_channel_{get,set}_encoding. The conversion is always to UTF-8,
which what everything thing else in GTK+ libs expects.

> And, if you already know that, then you'll probably need a way
> to figure out what the data in the file is.  (This is file
> dependent though.  GIOChannel is at a much lower level that
> this... so it wouldn't provide an API for this kind of thing.)

But it does. GIOChannel has some pretty fairly high level conveniences
tailored for GTK+ application developers.