JPEG Loader Failed

I've spent several hours trying to install  GTK+ 2.2.  I've managed to
do some experimenting - (discovered that .pc files were being written to
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig instead of /usr/lib/pkgconfig/ - so I simply
copied the relevant ones, amongst other weird issues).

My system:  Redhat 8.0

Now, I'm able to run configure for gtk+ 2.2, but I'm getting this:

checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... no
configure: WARNING: *** JPEG loader will not be built (JPEG library not
found) *
**
configure: error:
*** Checks for JPEG loader failed. You can build without it by passing
*** --without-libjpeg to configure but some programs using GTK+ may
*** not work properly

But I do have the jpeg library installed:

ls -la /usr/lib
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Oct  8 19:41 libjpeg.so.62 ->
libjpeg.so.62.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       137775 Jun 23  2002
libjpeg.so.62.0.0

But for good measure, I downloaded the tar package ( pegsrc.v6b.tar.gz)
from the ftp site, and did the usual ./configure, make, make install.
No error messages.

I've even run /sbin/ldconfig a bunch of times. So, I'm stumped.  What I
really wanted to do was take a look at the new GIMP version.  Seems like
a lot of work to just have a peek at it though! :)

I'm not a programmer - but I HAVE been RTFM's... and even tried a bunch
of different things, but I'm stumped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--