gtk-2.2.1 installation issues

Ok, pkg-config problem has solved. Thanks to all those who helped me. But, now i am agian in a different problem.

here it goes,

I am installing gtk2.2.1 on my sparc box. I've found some dependencies for it like atk, pango and glib. glib and atk installed successfully but when i tried to install (./configure) pango (ver: 1.2.1), it says that i am missing fontconfig library which is necessary for pango. I have download that library from fontconfig.org. But, i really didn't find any instructions of how to install this library. It seems that to install fontconfig successfully, first i have to install 'xft' library. Am i right ?? If yes then plz guide me how to install these things in order, as i am still far away from my target, i.e. gtk-2.2.1.

any help would be greatly appreciated,
Raheel.