installing gtk+ toolkit

I'm having trouble compiling the gtk+ toolkit. Heres what I've done so far.

1. downloaded everything from the gtk web site
2. installed everthing in the dependencies directory
3. installed glib
4. tried to install pango but ran into trouble

While trying to install pango it asked for fontconfig. I downloaded fontconfig and tried to compile that. Well, that only gave me more errors.

Can someone help me install gtk+ before I get lost in a sea of dependencies and errors?