Re: Draw on the root window?

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 01:14:06AM +0100, [rSu]G-LiTe wrote:
> Well, the wheelbarrow is just a normal, but shaped, window. It's not
> exactly what I want, I'm trying to draw on the root window. What I'm
> writing is going to cover the entire root window and should always be in
> the background. I could use a normal window but not all window managers
> support keeping a window in the background as far as I know. That's why
> I'm using this approach. It'd be very nice if I could get it to work.

You're way better off just creating a big background window as
Nautilus and kdesktop do. Both GNOME and KDE use that approach, the
root window approach is quite hard to do (and has unfixable issues)
even if you know a heck of a lot about X and GDK. Most WMs that are
actively developed support it these days.

Havoc