Re: Deprecation of gtk_progress_bar_set_bar_style()

- --- Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 03:13, Tommy McDaniel wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to learn GTK at present (I'm currently
> > reading the API Reference word for word; I
> probably
> > won't remember squat when I'm done, but at least
> I'll
> > have an idea of what can be done and where to look
> > remember how to do it), and the
> > gtk_progress_bar_set_bar_style() function is said
> > be deprecated. I've searched through the GTK
> mailing
> > lists trying to find anything about that function,
> but
> > I couldn't find anything. Why is this function
> > deprecated? Is there another, presumably better
> way to
> > set whether the bar is discrete or continuous, or
> was
> > that deemed by someone to be a stupid feature?
> That
> > seems like a feature I myself would like.
>
> Allowing to to be app-settable was deemed to be a
> stupid
> feature.
>
> Why should some apps have progress bars that show
> discrete
> blocks, and other apps have progress bars that are
> continuous?

The same question applies to just about everything
about GTK that doesn't have to always be one way and
one way only in every application whatsoever that just
happens to use GTK for its graphics. Take colors for
instance. Why should some applications be
predominantly gray while others are predominantly,
say, hot pink? For just about any feature of GTK where
the application developer can make a choice, the same
question can be asked: why allow applications to use
these different options, when all applications should
be the same with regard to the setting? I myself don't
really care whether progress bars are continuous or
discrete in the programs that I use, even if they just
happen to use the same graphical toolkit. I don't
think it is really the role of the toolkit to limit
the application developer's options; I can see
something like GNOME making sure all its associated
applications have a certain kind of scrollbar, since a
common look and feel is desirable at that level, but
GTK isn't GNOME, it is simply a graphical toolkit that
can be used for an infinite number of things. GTK
doesn't seem like the proper level at which to enforce
a common theme. Why not even give the application
developer the option? Is the 'wrong' style of progress
bar worse than a predominantly neon pink and glowing
green application, or one with any number of other
annoying or downright retarded properties? I'm of the
belief that, in general, the more freedom the
programmer has, the better. There are clearly worse
things one can do, and which GTK allows, than have the
wrong style of progress bar.

Tommy McDaniel