building Gtk2.2 from source

Hi!

I'd like to start Gzk/Gnome development on my SuSE 8.0 box with Ruby
bindings.

I cannot install gtk2.2 via apt-get from SuSE repository since the pango
package is wrongly build requiring filesystem package whose functionality is already
provided.

Anyway, I just need libraries for development since at the moment I'm
not running Gnome, and therefore I decided to try to build from source
trying to isolate development environment from the present system setup.

Can someone give me some hint or/HOWTO build gtk2.2 environment not
mixing it with my system.

What is the easiest way to prepare gtk2.2 development environment?

I started with pango since the present SuSE package is too old, but then
I had problem that pango was reporting one version of glib, and
configure script finding another one etc..

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour