Re: CellRenderText properties question.

"Carl B. Constantine" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. That confirms what I suspected, but IMHO very bad
> design as it creates extra overhead for memory and storage in the
> TreeModel (ListStore in this case) instead of being able to determine
> the property programatically. What if I have a preference setting where
> the user change pick a color so it's not just "red" or "blue" it's
> "between blue and purple"?
You can have multiple views on the same model, and tha'ts the real power
of the new widgets over GtkCList and GtkCTree (that, OTOH, are much
faster).
And as Owen said (and I didn't know!) you can have a callback to
calculate on the fly the properties.

> > You have to add a column for every attribute.
> or add multiple attributes to the column with
> gtk_tree_view_column_add_attribute(). But this means I have to add a
> column to the model and then hide it after it's appended to the view
> right?
As you probably already understood, it's not an "hide it" matter.
If you follow the easy way, then you store different attributes in
different MODEL columns. But these columns get ALL referenced when you
add a new column to the VIEW. This way you could have different
attribute sets for different views.

BYtE,
 Diego.