Odd Problem with Icons (2.2.2)

I'm having an odd problem with icons, as my subject line suggests. I
noticed that in gaim (and reproducible with the "Stock Icons and Items"
demo, part of the gtk-demo app), icons would "lose" their image (that
is, either get garbled or disappear entirely) until the mouse passes
over them. I did not observe this problem until I installed gtk-2.2.2,
and the associated dependencies.

I had thought it was a gaim-specific problem, but as I said, in the
Stock Icons and Items demo, the icons in the left pane exhibit the same
garbling behavior that I saw in the buddy icons in gaim. Has anyone else
noticed a similar problem?

--ellF