Re: newbie: doubt on GObject system

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 16:12, Tarun Ramakrishna Elankath wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Gtk and have been reading up on GObject and GType. What I
> have failed to understand is why is it that the GTypeInfo structure
> fails to provide a field for instance finalizer functions ? We have
> fields for specifying class initialization, class finalization, instance
> initialization functions but *not* for instance finalization.
>
> For specifying an instance finalization function, one needs to assign it
> to the finalize member of the GObjectClass in the instance init
> function. And in addition, make sure that this user-defined finalization
> function also calls the finalize function of the parent class object.
>
> Is this the only way to do it ? Have I misunderstood something here ?

I think probably the more appropriate question is why the instance-init
function isn't just another function in the vtable. The vtable is where
functions that operate on instances generally live.

I think the answer to that is just history ... it's always been that
way both in GObject and in GtkObject before that.

Regards,
                                          Owen