newbie: doubt on GObject system

Hi all,

I am new to Gtk and have been reading up on GObject and GType. What I
have failed to understand is why is it that the GTypeInfo structure
fails to provide a field for instance finalizer functions ? We have
fields for specifying class initialization, class finalization, instance
initialization functions but *not* for instance finalization.

For specifying an instance finalization function, one needs to assign it
to the finalize member of the GObjectClass in the instance init
function. And in addition, make sure that this user-defined finalization
function also calls the finalize function of the parent class object.

Is this the only way to do it ? Have I misunderstood something here ?

All help/pointers appreciated,
Regards,
Tarun