Re: static build

Alois Goller wrote:

I am trying to build gtk+ as a static library. I am running RedHat
7.2 with gcc 2.95.3 on a Pentium 4. Pango, atk, and glib
all built fine like so:

anyone who tried this for win32 (MSVC) to avoid DLL-hell?

I had no luck compiling GTK with MSVC at all. Many problems with
(I started from Pango [and finished]) config.h , LANG_*, etc...

Instead, I've cross-compiled several things from my Linux box.
Gtk-engines among them - that's fun! Now (after little changes
in theme's gtkrc) I can use themes under win32. Maybe make
a precompiled package for GIMP users?..

About DLL-hell: from MSDN, about .dll search order:

1. The directory where the executable module for the current process is located.
2. The current directory.
3. The Windows system directory. The *GetSystemDirectory* function retrieves the path of this directory. 4. The Windows directory. The *GetWindowsDirectory *function retrieves the path of this directory.
5. The directories listed in the PATH environment variable.
Note that the LIBPATH environment variable is not used.

So it seems enough just to install .dlls together with executable.