TextView scrolling problem

Hi,

I use a GtkTextView to display some text, so I write the text into the
GtkTextBuffer used for the View. When the whole text does not fit into
the View, the view  automatically scrolls. So when I show the widget, it
is displayed with the text scrolled to the end, but I would like to have
it displayed with the beginning of the text visible.
Of course, I can scroll the View to the start of the text when the widget
is shown, but I would like to do that before it is shown. How can this
be done?

thanks,
Bernhard Rumpler