Re: Setting up global key bindings

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 14:58, Paul Davis wrote:

> >  - a way to detect the creation of a GtkWindow or GtkDialog ?
>
> not generically, no. what i do to handle such things is to add a
> handler for the map_event of new top-level windows. since your code
> creates them all (i hope!), it can attach to the signal.

Yes and no. It might be calling some modules that are shared with other
applications, and that themselves would create toplevel dialogs. Or it
also happens that some-level module of the application creates them, not
the higher-level part which is responsible for handling the key bindings
and macros.

>  - another way to setup global key bindings ?
>
> what you're doing sounds right for most applications. there is another
> way that is very similar: install a key-snooper

I'll explore that solution. I guess it has a low impact on performance,
since gtk+ does that anyway ?

thanks
Emmanuel